Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Advice

Hello all!
No new real “developments” this week for mommy. Still no morning sickness, still craving meat (especially beef), and still having queasy bouts.  I’ve semi-figured out what triggers these, although once in a while they do just pop up out of nowhere.  Anytime I get hot or am in a stuffy room, I break into a sweat. I mean, sweat literally rolling down my forehead, my skin feels like it’s on fire and my hair is damp. Following the sweats, my stomach all of the sudden drops and I feel a sudden urge to toss my cookies(anytime I say this phrase, I can’t help but think of that scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins, you know what I’m talking about). Most often I can quickly turn on the air and the living room fan, sit down and take a few breaths. Within 1 or 2 minutes I usually feel perfectly fine and ready to get back to whatever I was doing. 

Weight: +2 lbs.   Call it denial, but I’m just going to say this is due to water retention. Note to reduce sodium intake.
Waist: +1/2 in. Refer to my excuse above.

Even though there aren’t new developments for mommy, baby (or as my mom calls him/her, little Elvis or Pricilla) is quite busy! As of the beginning of week 10, he/she is no longer an embryo and is officially now a fetus! Most vital organs including the liver, kidneys, intestines and brain are functioning. Joints are developing so baby can move and bend elbows and knees. Also, tiny little fingers and toes are developed (no more webbing) and fingernails and toenails come in!

Size: 1.2” (size of a prune. Really people, we couldn’t come up with something better than a prune?)
Weight: .14 oz (double from last week!)

     Since we told everyone about our new family addition, we’ve gotten LOTS of advice, whether solicited or not.  Sometimes it’s helpful, sometime a bit odd and little too “personal”. Most of the time I just smile and nod. :D I thought in this week’s post I’d share some of the suggestions I’ve been given (sometimes conflicting) and you can chime in with your own thoughts.

While pregnant:
1. Don’t eat really spicy or salty foods. – Ok, I get the salty part, water retention stinks, but spicy food?

2. Don’t sleep on your back! –Uh, why?

3. Your breasts are probably really sore right now and have probably already gone up a at least ½ a cup size. Invest in a comfortable maternity bra NOW instead of later. – If I get a maternity bra now, won’t I just “grow” out of it in a few months anyway and have to buy a new one? Plus, honestly, since I am so sore all the time, I really only resort to bra wearing when there’s a risk of being seen by other people than my husband.

4. Buy maternity clothes second hand. You’re only going to wear it for a few months. Why pay for overpriced clothes when you can buy second hand clothes that, in reality the first owner only wore for a few months, will be in good condition.  – True, but I don’t really remember there being a “maternity” section in thrift stores unless I just wasn’t paying attention. Should I look in the XXL section or just go straight for the muumuus?

5. For gas issues, don’t eat greasy food, eat several small meals instead of large ones, and pop those Tums (they’re good for Calcium too!).  –So, here’s the thing.  The above piece of wisdom was from my doctor. I told her I was having some embarrassing issues with belching.  Now, this isn’t some little girly burp where I can giggle and say “excuse me”. This is like full on, the neighbors will hear, on a scale of 1-10 “11” sounding belches. There is no excuse for these burps and the bad part is, I can’t help it! I have no idea when they’re coming on so I can try to contain it or leave the room (it’s not like it couldn’t be heard from 3 rooms down with doors closed anyway) but it comes on with no warning. At first James’ response was “eww”. Oh please, like he hasn’t graced my presence with his various forms of gas before but apparently it’s just inappropriate when girls do it (love you honey). But, I guess he’s gotten used to it now and just ignores me. Back to the advise- Tums do seem to help some.

6. Don’t eat too many Tums(2 a day MAX).  All the calcium will give you kidney stones. – Really? My doctor didn’t mention this part. Tums or gas? Hmm….

So there’s some of the most interesting advice I’ve been given so far. However I still have some questions some of you might have some words of wisdom for.

A. My stomach feels bloated ALL the time, whether I’m starving or whether I just ate. Nothing seems to help. It’s not quite a “sick” feeling, just like I just drank a gallon of water. Any remedies you know of?

B. My nose is constantly stuffed up.  I thought at first it was allergies but I don’t have any of the accompanying symptoms such as sneezing or a scratchy throat. I looked it up and according to various internet sources; some women have stuffy noses their entire pregnancy because of high estrogen levels messing with various “membranes” in your body. I’m blowing my nose almost constantly but I’m not allowed to use Afrin or other intra-nasal (is that a word?) medications.  What the heck am I supposed to do?

If you have any advice for me or comments in general, please click on the comments tab at the bottom of this post and type away!  If you don’t have any of the listed accounts in the drop down menu, just select the “name/url” option and enter your name (no url necessary) or the “anonymous” tab.

Whew, I think that’s enough for this week. Today James bought me a pregnancy book that I heard was good called “Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth” by Jenny McCarthey.  Next week I’ll give you my review and probably more questions!  Do you know of any good pregnancy/parenting books that I should check out?

Thanks!  ~JoAnna~


Hi again, blog followers!
                We are successfully finding ourselves winding down week 10 and it is only 30 more weeks until the delivery of our little treasure.  We are going to take this week’s blog entry to discuss things that people/books are telling us about what to expect during the rest of JoAnna’s pregnancy. 

               

I told “the boys” (and girls!) at work (Logan’s Roadhouse) this week about the announcement of the soon-arrival of our child.  As expected, everyone was very excited.  It was not very long after making the announcement that advice (no matter if I wanted to hear it or not) began to roll in.  I will now take this opportunity to share a few of the (funnier) things that was given to me for advice/comments about what to expect.  However, the names have been withheld to protect the innocent:
1)      Listen to your spouse, especially when it deals with how she is feeling.  Even if you do not have a clue as to how to respond to what she is saying, just her knowing that you are listening and you care about what she is having to say will also go a long way.  It will set the tone for the remainder of her pregnancy and begin to make room for a happy wife.   Accommodate your spouse.  When she is hot, turn on the A/C! Turn on EVERY fan in your home, and fan her until she is back to herself.  She will thank you for this.
2)      Take vitamins:   According to this person, by taking a certain amount of vitamins daily will help with my “performance” and will help one last longer as it helps the blood flow more fluidly “down there” as I was told my wife may be requiring more “performances”.  Apparently hormones cause a wide variety of symptoms and urges for her. 
3)      Finally, (This is advice that I am offering personally and trying to exhibit myself).  Learn to have fun! This is a time to enjoy each other and learn new things about your spouse.  For one, my wife (sorry sweetie, I’ll get the guest bed ready) has developed a keen sensation of belching.  Something that I had never seen (or heard!) before.   According to books, this is common among pregnant women.  I learn something new every day.  However, to be perfectly honest, I truly love every moment of it. 

I am not trying to say with these three points that I have everything down.  I don’t (if you do not believe me, just ask my wife).  I would say to summarize my portion of this blog entry this week is that communication is so key and it is so very important.  I am learning that daily.  If you have anything to add, please comment and contribute further. 

‘Till next time folks.
God bless all of you
James “Daddy” Davis

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, well, about the belching -- I highly suspect there is some fun in it for Mommy. Let me tell you, Mommy has liked belching since preschool and she and her cousin Kenneth had ongoing belching contests, rating them on a scale of 1-10. Don't think little Elvis or little Priscilla have a whole lot to do with it ~~:o) Gigi (Grandma, Serena)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating spicy foods during pregnancy can cause really severe heartburn/acid reflux because of the pressure the uterus puts on the stomach.

    The belching could definitely be a sign of acid reflux. If it keeps bothering you, ask your doctor about getting on a medicine like Prevacid.

    Sleeping on your back can put pressure on an artery that sends blood to the lower half of your body and can cause lack of blood flow to your legs and the baby.

    A really good no-wire maternity bra now (even if you have to buy another later) is so worth it because it supports without the discomfort of regular bras. You'll probably have to buy at least 2 bras because most women go up at least 2 bra sizes and you don't want to stuff them in a too small bra.

    My nose got really stuffy during the 1st and 3rd trimesters. It's definitely because of all the extra hormones. There are some medicines that you can try...just ask your doctor if it continues to bother you.

    The book I liked most was What to Expect When You're Expecting. My favorite website is www.babycenter.com.

    My best advice is don't hesitate to ask your doctor about any questions you have...call the clinic if it is between your visits. It's best to play it super safe during pregnancy...if something feels uncomfortable or out of the ordinary, call and ask. And remember, everyone's experiences with pregnancy are different...what was 'right' for one person may not be for you so trust your instincts. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete